Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pain


So today me and the gf were having a nice chat about tattoos and what to get etc ... she has chosen a gorgeous string of butterflies that she wants to have tattooed on her back ... I have included a pic on the side here that gives an idea of what she wants to get ... dunno about all you out there but I think its damn nice ;)

So anyhow ... the discussion was also around the fact that I am interested in getting a tattoo myself on my right arm ... now there is a reason for my interest and it comes down to the fact that just 6 months ago (almost to the day) I had an accident which involved the 'head of my humerous' being snapped off and shattered into 4 pieces in an accident at the beach here in Nigeria (yea yea it wasnt very humorous at the time - tho I think even that joke is getting old hehe) ... anyhow after being airlifted to ZA I was given the option of having them attempt to repair the existing damage or replace it with a solid surgical steel attachment with an 'equivilent' ball joint at the top ... anyhow the repair would have involved multiple operations and if the blood flow didnt return correctly it can suddenly shatter at a later time (basically it dies from the inside out - pretty gross but worse is you dont even know about it till it crumbles) ... anyhow I chose the metal replacement which only involves one op ... so now I sit here 6 months on, typing (perfectly well mind you) with a right arm which is partially bionic (wikked) ... amazing what medical science can do these days ...

Anyhow I wanna get a tattoo to signify the situation I faced and the results of it in and on my life ... it has in many ways made a lot of things change for me and I wanna find a way to remind myself of this and a tattoo seems like a great idea (Miami Ink on Discovery is an amazing influence). So anyhow basically I want a reminder and have sort of settled on getting a warning sign ... in particular a "FRAGILE: Handle With Care" sign (like u get on boxes etc) just to remind myself just how fragile life truly is ... the accident was unique in that if my body had been bent in a slightly different way then instead of my shoulder taking all the impact i basically would have landed on my face and broken my neck ... kinda a close call and one of those things that just makes u really sit up and realize just how easily you could lose everything ... I could be paralysed or as I say worse off and dead.

I think Ill start to express more of my feelings around the accident and my reaction to it in the coming weeks ... having a means to just express yourself to the outside world like this blog really can help to get over some of these things ... I spose it helps that my current most regular reader and biggest fan in the world also sleeps beside me and thinks Im the bees knees. ;)

Night all (that includes u babe ;) )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You could tattoo the structure of the underlying metal over your shoulder? Would hide the scar though (remember chicks dig scars mmkay). Kind of like this dude, but toned down a little http://images.elfwood.com/art/a/d/adarabuell/bionic_arm_finished1.jpg
You could base the tat on the xrays they took post-op. And maybe a basic text warning label underneath... just an idea.

Craig said...

i think biomechanics would be kewl. otherwise maybe that warning sign inside biomechanics.
whats kewl with the machnicas is that u can put in like tenticles, robots, machines, code(programmer), and just keep going and going, building on.
maybe ask the tattoo artist to draw u up something, make sure he knows u serious.

By the way lindz me likes the butterfly idea. shelly doing the same soon i think. hope. haha