Monday, June 23, 2008

Physically fixing a mental problem ?

Okay, so my brother Craig has recently experienced some changes based on going to see a chiro who claims his arch in his back was touching a nerve which in turn was causing mental stability changes such as paranoia/anxiety ... which in turn caused a tear in the space/time continuum of Craig's left ball sack ...

Now Craig (if you reading this) dont read further unless you are willing to consider that I may instill some doubt in your existing findings ...

Basically the premise is that an event from the past in turn caused pressure to be put on a specific nerve which in turn caused differences in his personality ... now in this case he has investigated several different options in the past, both medicative (anti-anxiety drugs) and expressive (talking to a psycologist), with very limited results ...

Which brings me to my theory ... is it not possible that in all cases it was not the treatment at fault but rather the intepretation of the results of said treatment which caused a different viewpoint to be expressed ... so take for example the medication ... all it did was make him feel more out of place and uncomfortable with himself ... with common side effects such as nausea and stomach cramps ... feeling uncomfortable to go out into large crowds and so on (typically the first 2 weeks to month of any anti-psychotic causes these sorts of side effects) ... then of course was the psychologist who really just spoke to him and helped him to find answers to his own questions (ironic that a profession exists where you pay someone to help you find the answers you already know - shouldnt a friend be able to serve that purpose for free ?) ...

He even went for various brain scans and medical check ups to determine if the problem was a latent one not noticable through normal 'over the counter' investigations ...

Then of course he went to a chiro ... who snapped his back into shape ... convinced him that this was why he was suffering these symptoms and in turn sent him home feeling like a million bucks ... however ... my theory rests on the fact that this was a physical resolution to a mental issue ... lemme explain this a bit further ...

In all other cases he either felt worse, or was sent home with more questions than when he arrived ... yet with the case of the chiro he went home feeling overall better ... his back/neck/etc had been straightened out and now he felt better physically and because the doctor had said this was the cause for the rest of his emotional issues he also felt like they had been resolved ...

Well now relate this to real life ... say I tell you gimme R1000 and I am going to give you this physical object which can make coffee ... we shall call this the coffee machine (well cause it is) and it will make the worlds best coffee ... on the other hand I say give me R1000 and I will teach you how to make the worlds best coffee ... however in order to teach you it will take 2 months of dedication and time during which you only learn the ultimate coffee making secret in the last day ...

Now tell me which you would take ... the difference being a combination of instant gratification and physical representation ... on the one hand you can feel the machine and have that awesome coffee right away ... in the other you have to put your trust in me that I actually know what I am talking about and that you will have the capability of learning from me well enough to make that awesome coffee ...

So relating this to Craig's situation ... he went to multiple doctors in order to have his problem solved ... finally arriving at one who was able to give him both instant gratification as well as the physical merits of feeling 'better' because his bones had been pushed around into the definition of what is correct ... if the doctor threw in the fact that this will fix his anxiety issues and he goes home believing this then in actual fact is it not trust and belief at work ... many other doctors were convinced they could solve his problem ... however it was not the doctors at fault but rather Craig's belief in their resolution that was flawed ... he never wanted to take meds ... he never wanted to share his feelings with some unknown individual who he would only have grown to trust once they had proven themselves to him (impossible if he wouldnt believe them to begin with) ...

Then along comes someone he does want to believe ... his own attitude towards yoga and various other elements relating to physical recreation and the positive mental effects already prove that he is more open minded towards solutions such as this ... thus all that was required was for a seed to be planted (by the chiro) and in turn his mental state changes not because there has been an actual change but rather because his belief in that change is influencing his inner view of himself ... all this is positive of course ... but discounting the original doctor(s) advice and involvement does not make their resolution any less important ...

It wasnt the doctors who were wrong ... but that they were the wrong doctors for Craig ...

With mental issues I always have believed that the true 'cure' exists in your own mental representation of yourself ... only you have the power to see yourself in the way you should ... maybe a trigger may cause a difference of view ... but dont negate the fact that the follow through is wholly personal ...

4 comments:

Craig said...

You are assuming too much here and comparing the situation to one completely different. ie yours.

There is scientific proof when it comes to stress and the affects on the body. .. nausea, headaches, stomach cramps, tension, muscle spams, anxiety, depression etc etc.

From the moment i start feeling ill or am in pain, I want to be better. Regardless of what it is, I will do what it takes.
A cold/flu, headache, even a broken toe.

In this situation, I was anxious before initially going to the chiro. Fuck, ive had anxiety issues since school when doing orals/presentations etc.
Even though im shit scared of it, I force my self into those situations to confront those fears, rather than hide away like a lil bitch.

so..after going to the chiro the first time, everything was loosened. However, instead of improving my posture, it got worse, especially cos i was spending between 12- 14 hours a day with one hand on the keyboard and there other on the mouse. This equaled unleveled shoulders. And placed more pressure on the left side of my neck(right shoulder higher than left). this is what the physio told me(yes grant, not just chiro), the vertebra are kept in line by the muscles, if the muscles tense, they put pressure on the bones/nerves. causing discomfort pain etc etc.

Everyone handles pain differently, I look at pain as an itch that wont go away, Im constantly fixated on it and am in search for resolution. When im angry or nervous, i immediately tense up, which places even more pressure.

The physio im working with, works day to day in the psych ward on people suffering from depression and anxiety. He has quite a success rate as well.
Often relaxing the muscles allows a pressure release. Muscles are a huge issue, they take massive strain when u under stress or anxious. And that slight bit of tension can cause muscle constriction which can also restrict breathing. So for someone that has discomfort in that area, slight disability to breathe could equal panic.

I have had several doctors tell me that the meds will help, the meds will help. The first time i took the meds, 2 weeks later I experienced my first "real" panic attack. ie freezing cold, sweating, tunnel vision, rushed to hospital.

so..I have for the past 2 years, tried to figure out what happened, and why..
while seeking medical treatment. I changed my diet, exercised, found new hobbies, spent less time on pc etc etc
And when finally I start realizing a large improvement, a release of all me troubles in the muscles. It seems u are not happy? I have had so many people tell me alternative reasons..So many doctors, so much medication. It must be flawed somehow..

Yes you may have this theory and think very highly of your opinion, but u not always right, you should be using factual data, or express your concerns after attempting to resolve you own issues. medication isnt a way out. It isnt solving shit. Its hiding the truth. Max should be 3 months on it, to sort out ya shit, then off.

As well The chiro never mentioned that this will sort out these issues etc etc. They completed a session and I gave a response as to how im feeling.
which was an improvement. A large improvement.

Face your fears, let go, change your diet, seek stress relief, get some exercise, stretch and breathe..

Grr stop talking about me!

Jess said...

"(ironic that a profession exists where you pay someone to help you find the answers you already know - shouldnt a friend be able to serve that purpose for free ?)"

I go to therapy and am huge fan. Think friends are often subjective and too afraid to give their honest opinion on some issues. This has been my experience anyway. In the same breath, however, getting the wrong therapist can be disastrous.

Craig said...

Although I have a bit of an emotional time with life, I think im far from crazy which the doctors imposed. I like to think that I simply lost hope, because of everything that was happening. This being the reason i went to therapy and even opted to take meds.
When going to a Doctor, and you leave 5 minutes later with meds. I dont trust he has done his job correctly. The problem may lie in too many areas for someone to diagnose in such short time.
For all he knows, those emotions that one fears so often, could be the driving force to want to live.
people react differently to different meds. sometimes all one needs is a bit of GABA...

And I agree, sometimes when times are tough, its good to have someone to talk to, that listens and responds positively.

Grantus Vinicus said...

Icepick: Oi, biatch ... shut the fuck up and read what I am trying to say and not what you want to hear ... I am not comparing either of our experiences ... I am also not trying to point out the flaws in yours ... what I am trying to say is that my theory is that it when it comes to many mental issues the solution is influenced moreso by the individual than the practitioners of science such as doctors.

Therefore, it wasnt necessarily the doctors advice that was wrong but your acceptance of that advice.

And dont tell me not to talk about you when you talk about yourself on your own blog u chop nartjie !! ;)

Arent we a loving family ? ;)

Wonderfully Confussed:

I am in agreement with your point, however I do believe a true friend is someone who realizes that the love is unconditional and therefore will have the 'balls' to tell u how it is and not just what you wanna hear. These however are hard to come by and I doubt many people have even had friends like this at all before 40 ... I spose when you get older you are less competitive and protective of who you are inside and figure fuck it the world may as well know who I am ...

Icepick: I totally agree with that and experienced the same myself, within 5 minutes I was leaving with a prescription in hand ad the apparent successful diagnosis of my condition ... however seeing both a psychiatrist and psychologist at the same time and getting them to talk ended up with my '5 minute diagnosis' being vastly changed through the effort put in by the talker not the prescriber.

GABA leads to GBL, GBL (with NaOH) leads to GHB, GHB leads to acting like a moron when your motor functions cease existing. ;)